Sunday, April 10, 2016

Don't Buy, DIY: Destroyed Sweatshirt




Sweatshirt: thrifted Hanes (here) // Tee: Madewell (here or here) // Pants: H&M skinnies (similar from H&M here)// Sneakers: Adidas (here {on sale!} or more sizes here)// Rings: vintage

Random little Sunday post here. I've been seeing destroyed sweatshirts around the style blogosphere and liked them so I did what any good secondhand shopper would do - I thrifted one and cut holes in it myself. It took me a few tries to get what I wanted so here's what I did:

- I used old nail clippers to take little chunks out of the ribbed-knit cuffs, hem, and neckline. Then randomly made little holes in the sweatshirt. The result looked more natural than using scissors.
- I cut a small hole near the neck and then ripped it to satisfaction.
- I also cut vents (with scissors) along the side seams to make it a little more flattering fit for me.

I think it looks great dressed down with some big earrings or fancy necklace (on Sincerely Jules here), but I've also seen it look good with minimal jewelry (on Hannah Henderson here).

Thrifting the sweatshirt is the way to go - it's already worn in - but if you're not a thrifter you can pick up a new Hanes top for less than $10. If you'd rather someone else do the damage here's a few options below:



And this is funny.  I took these photos in our side yard, completely unaware that there was a mama and baby moose in the backyard. I'm glad I didn't find this out while taking photos!

No comments: