Monday, May 11, 2015

Roundup: Spring Fling










If you got to this text, you are a scrolling superstar.

It seems like each time I disappear from the blog I come back with some excuse. Sick, tired, busy, blah, blah, blah. This time is no different. :) The mixed feelings I've always had about blogging have resurfaced. Wearing anything other than well-loved favorites just feels too costumey and contrived. I'm afraid that when I blog I'm just adding to the buy! buy! buy! noise that is so loud in the style blogosphere. I love style and clothing. I love looking at style and clothing. I'm not sure that will ever change. Instagram suits my feelings at the moment because it's so fleeting. You scroll through the feed, pausing and admiring when something catches your eye. You continue on, inspired. It's just a fun outfit and no one is trying to make it more (although the push to monetize Instagram is ruining some of the fun, just like it did blogging. Once I see an account start heavily pushing Like To Know It it means I Will Unfollow It. Quickly.)

I guess I'm just really tired of acquiring things just to make new outfits. I'm tired of being sold clothing instead of seeing someone really express their style. I don't think I've ever shared this on the blog but we grew up pretty poor and clothing/fashion was NOT a priority even though I desperately wished it was. After college I struggled a bit and due to bad choices by me and others even ended up sleeping in a car for a time. I slowly pulled myself out of that hole (with some help) and once I had some disposable income I started spending it on the clothing I admired on other people. I wanted to own some of the confidence and success that I thought came with wearing brand names and/or trendy items. And then I'd stand in front of a packed-to-the-gills closet with "nothing to wear".

It was when we moved to Alaska and I cleaned out my closet that I realized it felt good to have a wardrobe where most everything felt like "me". I've had a few missteps and I had to clear out some wrong choices but nowhere on the scale that I used to. I've finally come to the conclusion that I don't have to own things that I like when they don't fit into my lifestyle or style narrative. I can appreciate them and move on. Took me long enough. :)

Life, it's a process, isn't it? Just when you think you're nailing something you find out that you were using the wrong hammer.

No comments: